Causes of Knee Pain When Riding a Bike
Pain over the knee joint while riding a stationary bike or after a long ride outdoors is not uncommon, especially if you're not used to riding a bike or if you've enjoyed a longer than usual bike ride. Knowledge of the structure of the knee and function of various muscles and ligaments in the knee joint may help you avoid such knee pain in the future.
Pain in the front portion of the leg just above the knee is a sign of distress or injury to the quadriceps tendon. This tendon connects the quadriceps muscle to the knee and down over the kneecap, where it inserts at the top end of the tibia or front lower leg bone. Pain may be aching and throbbing, caused by overuse and inflammation, or sharp and stabbing, caused by a ripped or torn muscle or ligament.
Several different muscles and muscle groups attach to the knee joint. Anterior or frontal knee pain caused by muscle strain to the distal or lower end of the quadriceps muscles and tendon may cause pain while placing forward pressure on the bike pedals. According to Get Body Smart, the rectus femoris muscle is a thick muscle that extends from the lower portion of the spine through the hip joint and down along the front of the thigh, where it inserts into the upper front portion of the knee joint. The quadriceps muscle and tendon are also located at the distal or lower end of the thigh and link to the knee joint.
Anterior knee pain while bike riding is caused by a number of factors, including improper seat height, bike speed or tension on gears as well as overuse of the knee joint before your bike ride. For example, if your seat is at a height that situates your foot too far forward on the pedal, you may place unwanted tension on the muscles located just above the knee. Slow pedal revolutions may also cause additional stress on the knee joint.
Adjust your bike seat when necessary for greater comfort. You'll have to ride a short distance to determine how your knee functions at various seat heights before you can determine the right height for you. Your knee should be flexed approximately 25 to 30 degrees when the pedal is at the lowest point. When possible, increase your speed or pedal revolutions to 75 rpm or above, suggests Cycling Performance Tips. Start bike riding on relatively flat and even surfaces to minimize muscle strain in the knee, and gradually add hills, dirt paths or uneven surfaces to your bike riding routine as your knees and thighs grow stronger.
- Get Body Smart: Rectus Femoris Muscle
- The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center: Knee Pain
- Lespasio MJ, Piuzzi NS, Husni ME, Muschler GF, Guarino A, Mont MA. Knee Osteoarthritis: A Primer. Perm J. 2017;21:16-183. doi:10.7812/TPP/16-183
- Kiapour AM, Murray MM. Basic science of anterior cruciate ligament injury and repair. Bone Joint Res. 2014;3(2):20-31. doi:10.1302/2046-3758.32.2000241
- Doral MN, Bilge O, Huri G, Turhan E, Verdonk R. Modern treatment of meniscal tears. EFORT Open Rev. 2018;3(5):260-268. doi:10.1302/2058-5241.3.170067
- Reinking MF. CURRENT CONCEPTS IN THE TREATMENT OF PATELLAR TENDINOPATHY. Int J Sports Phys Ther. 2016;11(6):854-866.
- Petersen W, Rembitzki I, Liebau C. Patellofemoral pain in athletes. Open Access J Sports Med. 2017;8:143-154. doi:10.2147/OAJSM.S133406
- Frush TJ, Noyes FR. Baker's Cyst: Diagnostic and Surgical Considerations. Sports Health. 2015;7(4):359-65. doi:10.1177/1941738113520130
- Huang YC, Yeh WL. Endoscopic treatment of prepatellar bursitis. Int Orthop. 2011;35(3):355-8. doi:10.1007/s00264-010-1033-5
- Beals C, Flanigan D. A Review of Treatments for Iliotibial Band Syndrome in the Athletic Population. J Sports Med (Hindawi Publ Corp). 2013;2013:367169. doi:10.1155/2013/367169
- Tsai CH, Hsu CJ, Hung CH, Hsu HC. Primary traumatic patellar dislocation. J Orthop Surg Res. 2012;7:21. doi:10.1186/1749-799X-7-21
- Ragab G, Elshahaly M, Bardin T. Gout: An old disease in new perspective - A review. J Adv Res. 2017;8(5):495-511. doi:10.1016/j.jare.2017.04.008
- Lee PYF, Nixion A, Chandratreya A, Murray JM. Synovial Plica Syndrome of the Knee: A Commonly Overlooked Cause of Anterior Knee Pain. Surg J (N Y). 2017;3(1):e9-e16. doi:10.1055/s-0037-1598047
- Vaishya R, Azizi AT, Agarwal AK, Vijay V. Apophysitis of the Tibial Tuberosity (Osgood-Schlatter Disease): A Review. Cureus. 2016;8(9):e780. doi:10.7759/cureus.780
- Zanon G, Di vico G, Marullo M. Osteochondritis dissecans of the knee. Joints. 2014;2(1):29-36.
- Hindle P, Davidson E, Biant LC. Septic arthritis of the knee: the use and effect of antibiotics prior to diagnostic aspiration. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2012;94(5):351-5. doi:10.1308/003588412X13171221591015
- Gwinner C, Märdian S, Schwabe P, Schaser KD, Krapohl BD, Jung TM. Current concepts review: Fractures of the patella. GMS Interdiscip Plast Reconstr Surg DGPW. 2016;5:Doc01. doi:10.3205/iprs000080
- Voskuil R, Evenski AJ, Montgomery C, Emory CL. Malignant Bone Tumors of the Knee: How to Identify and Treat. J Knee Surg. 2019;32(4):305-314. doi:10.1055/s-0038-1675828
- Gupte C, St mart JP. The acute swollen knee: diagnosis and management. J R Soc Med. 2013;106(7):259-68. doi:10.1177/0141076813482831
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons. Unstable Kneecap.
- Bhatia D, Bejarano T, Novo M. Current interventions in the management of knee osteoarthritis. Journal of Pharmacy & Bioallied Sciences 2013 Jan-Mar;5(1):30-38. doi:%2010.4103/0975-7406.106561
- Bronstein RD, Schaffer JC. Physical Examination of the Knee: Meniscus, Cartilage, and Patellofemoral Conditions. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2017 May;25(5):365-374.
- Browne K, Kurtz CA. How to perform a comprehensive examination of the knee. JAAPA. 2009 Jun;22(6):20-25.
- Hergenroeder AC, Harvey BS. (2017). Osteochondritis dissecans (OCD): Clinical manifestations and diagnosis. Bachur RG, ed. UpToDate. Waltham, MA: UpToDate Inc.
Denise Stern is an experienced freelance writer and editor. She has written professionally for more than seven years. Stern regularly provides content for health-related and elder-care websites and has an associate and specialized business degree in health information management and technology.