What does fact checked mean?
At SportsRec, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
What Is Zumba Gold?
The original concept of Zumba combines a dance workout with a party-like atmosphere. Zumba Gold takes the popular Latin-dance inspired workout of Zumba and makes it accessible for seniors, beginners or others needing modifications in their exercise routine. Zumba Gold builds cardiovascular health by challenging the heart and working the muscles of the hips, legs and arms with dance moves.
Zumba Gold is designed to be approachable by all populations, regardless of fitness level. Experience with dance is not required. Moves in class are broken down in a slow and manageable manner. The intention of the class is to move a little and have a lot of fun--even if you don't perform each move perfectly.
Dancing Queens (and Kings)
Zumba includes a medley of dance styles, including merengue, cha-cha, cumbia, belly dance, rumba, tango and salsa. Zumba Gold breaks these dances down to address the anatomical and biomechanical needs of active older adults or the unconditioned beginner. Nonsupported moves and chair-based options are available to participants in Zumba Gold.
Zumba Gold stays true to the original Zumba concept in that it does not rely on typical aerobics-style 32-count beats for movement and, instead, is inspired by authentic music. Instructors are encouraged to create their own choreography while staying true to the guidelines put forth in Zumba Gold instructor training.
What Is Zumba Gold?
Health Benefits and Safety
As we age, exercise continues to be of critical importance to weight management, heart health, balance and injury prevention. Zumba Gold falls under the category of endurance training, which keeps the heart healthy and the circulatory system strong. Zumba Gold develops coordination and burns calories to stave off the weight gain that often accompanies aging.
Despite the fun approach of Zumba Gold, wearing appropriate attire is important. Loose fitting, comfortable clothing that allows your body to experience a wide range of movement is best. Wear athletic shoes to support your knees and ankles during pivots and turns involved in the dance moves.
- National Institutes of Health
- Zumba Fitness: Zumba Gold
- Vendramin B, Bergamin M, Gobbo S, et al. Health benefits of Zumba fitness training: A systematic review. PM R. 2016;8(12):1181-1200. doi:10.1016/j.pmrj.2016.06.010
- Araneta MR, Tanori D. Benefits of Zumba Fitness® among sedentary adults with components of the metabolic syndrome: A pilot study. Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness. 2014;55(10):1227-1233.
- Inouye J, Nichols A, Maskarinec G, Tseng CW. A survey of musculoskeletal injuries associated with Zumba. Hawaii J Med Public Health. 2013;72(12):433-6.
- Delextrat AA, Warner S, Graham S, Neupert E. An 8-week exercise intervention based on Zumba improves aerobic fitness and psychological well-being in healthy women. J Phys Act Health. 2016;13(2):131-9. doi:10.1123/jpah.2014-0535
Andrea Boldt has been in the fitness industry for more than 20 years. A personal trainer, run coach, group fitness instructor and master yoga teacher, she also holds certifications in holistic and fitness nutrition.