What does fact checked mean?
At SportsRec, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
How to Kinesio Tape for Scoliosis
Kinesio tape is used to help support the muscles and connective tissues of the body, and is usually used in conjunction with physical therapy and gentle exercise. Scoliosis is an abnormal curvature of the spine, which can be inherited in families, or caused by various diseases, including polio.
Many patients with scoliosis are prescribed a brace, but kinesio tape is being used for mild curvature in order to support the spine. It still allows movement, stretching and range of motion exercises, to diminish pain and stiffness in patients of all ages.
Kinesio Tape for Scoliosis
Where you tape for scoliosis will depend on which kind of scoliosis you have, and to what extent. Anything below a 20 degree angle is considered mild. Anything above that degree needs some form of treatment, and watchful management, with a doctor’s visit every six months to see if the curvature has changed significantly.
The spine can curve like a C or a backwards C, or like an S. Easy signs of scoliosis include uneven shoulders, and uneven hips.
Apply tape on the shoulder which is rising upwards, to give it more support. Put one end of the tape on the shoulder near the base of the neck. Extend the tape downwards to the edge of the shoulder blade.
If the hips are uneven, put some tape, in the shape of a "V," on the hip which is higher than the other. The point of the V should start at the waist, with the two arms of the V spreading upwards from the waist to the edge of the ribcage.
Tape across the waist along the back, for extra support of the spine. This will also help if the curvature appears as lordosis, also referred to as swayback.
Tape parallel to the spine on the opposite side of the uneven shoulder, from shoulder to hip, to support the spine and muscles being pulled out of alignment.
If the curvature of the spine appears as kyphosis, or a hump in the upper part of the back, tape that area from side to side to support the spine and muscles.
Always consult with your doctor about any treatment options for your scoliosis.
Discuss correct taping methods with your physiotherapist before attempting at home.
You may want to ask your home helper to go with you to the physiotherapist to learn the correct taping methods for your particular scoliosis issues.
Follow up with all of your exercises.
If the patient is a child with scoliosis, kinesio taping might be a good and less embarrassing choice than a brace, and will allow them to feel less restrained.
Your treatment goals will be different depending on the nature and severity of your scoliosis. Taping will not help more severe cases of scoliosis, or those caused by neuromuscular disorders such as cerebral palsy.
If the curvature worsens, or you experience pain, discontinue treatment and see your doctor.
If you experience breathing problems, this could also be a sign of the curvature worsening. See your doctor immediately.
- Medline Plus: Scoliosis
- Kinesiotaping Application In Children With Scoliosis
- Hey LA. (2018). Scoliosis in the adult. Atlas SJ, ed. Waltham, MA: UpToDate Inc.
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons. Scoliosis
- Horne JP, Flannery R, Usman S. Adolescent idiopathic scoliosis: diagnosis and management. Am Fam Physician. 2014;89(3):193-8.
- Boston Childlren's Hospital. Congenital Scoliosis
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. OrthoInfo. Neuromuscular Scoliosis
- Weill Cornell Medicine. Center for Comprehensive Spine Care. Scoliosis: Symptoms, Types & Treatments
- Wang J, Zhang J, Xu R, Chen TG, Zhou KS, Zhang HH. Measurement of scoliosis Cobb angle by end vertebra tilt angle method. J Orthop Surg Res. 2018;13(1):223. doi:10.1186/s13018-018-0928-5
- Karimi MT, Rabczuk T. Scoliosis conservative treatment: A review of literature. J Craniovertebr Junction Spine. 2018;9(1):3-8. doi:10.4103/jcvjs.JCVJS_39_17
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons. (2019). Scoliosis.
- Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. (2019). Congenital Scoliosis.
- Dewan MC, Mummareddy N, Bonfield C. The influence of pregnancy on women with adolescent idiopathic scoliosis. Eur Spine J. 2018 Feb;27(2):253-63. doi:10.1007/s00586-017-5203-7
- Horne JP, Flannery R, Usman S. Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis: Diagnosis and Management. Am Fam Physician. 2014 Feb 1;89(3):193-98.
- Scoliosis Research Society. (2019). Scoliosis.
Since graduating from New York University with her Bachelor of Arts in 1996, Evelyn Trimborn has written both fiction and nonfiction for many websites and blogs on health, diet, nutrition, self-help, and business and finance. Her work has appeared on Amazon and at Healthful-Goddess.com, TreatAcneToday.com, InsiderSecretsCorp.com and Career-Command.com.