Clemson vs Notre Dame
Clemson and Notre Dame are set to meet late in the 2022 season in a game that may have significant College Football Playoff implications. The matchup will be the first meeting between the two teams since the 2020 season when they played against each other twice, including a 47-40 Notre Dame win in a double-overtime thriller and a dominate Clemson win in the ACC Championship.
- Date: November 5, 2022
- Time: 7:30pm ET
- Location: Notre Dame Stadium, Notre Dame, IN
- TV: NBC
Clemson and Notre Dame have played a total of six games against each other, with Clemson leading the all-time series 4-2.
- 12/19/2020: Clemson 34, Notre Dame 10
- 11/07/2020: Notre Dame 47, Clemson 40 (2OT)
- 12/29/2018: Clemson 30, Notre Dame 3
- 10/03/2015: Clemson 24, Notre Dame 22
- 11/17/1979: Clemson 16, Notre Dame 10
- 11/12/1977: Notre Dame 21, Clemson 17
Key Returning Players
1. QB DJ Uiagalelei
- 2021 season stats: 2,246 yards, 9 TD, 10 INT
2. RB Will Shipley
- 2021 season stats: 149 ATT, 739 YDS, 11 TD, 5.0 AVG
3. DE Xavier Thomas
- 2021 season stats: 12 solo, 3.5 sacks, 2 FF
Notre Dame Fighting Irish
1. RB Chris Tyree
- 2021 season stats: 56 ATT, 480 YDS, 3 TD, 6.O AVG
2. WR Lorenzo Styles Jr.
- 2021 season stats: 24 REC, 344 YDS, 1 TD, 14.3 AVG
3. LB JD Bertrand
- 2021 season stats: 65 solo, 1 sack, 1 FF
Biggest Question for Each Team
Clemson: Can DJ Uiagalelei turn it around in 2022?
DJ Uiagalelei showed flashes of what he could be in the double overtime thriller versus Notre Dame just two years ago, totaling well over 400 yards and 3TD's in Trevor Lawrence's absence. Uiagalelei's first season as the starter did not go as planned, however, and fans are eager to see how he improved over the offseason. Coach Dabo Swinney has touted the quarterback for slimming down in recent months, which should allow him to move around the pocket and use his legs more effectively this upcoming season.
Notre Dame: How will the Fighting Irish perform under Marcus Freeman?
One of the biggest coaching moves of the offseason was Brian Kelly leaving UND to go to LSU. New head coach Marcus Freeman now takes over a roster full of talent from top to bottom and expectations sky high for the 2022 season- the question now becomes whether or not they can respond to the new coach and return to the College Football Playoff for the first time since 2020.
Early Betting Odds
FanDuel Sportsbook has released early odds for the November game:
- Clemson -3 (-110)
- Notre Dame +3 (-110)
Clemson 24, Notre Dame 20
Picking a winner for this game is difficult, but one thing is for sure: it will be close. Assuming DJ Uiagalelei can show growth and improvement from last season, expect Clemson's defense to be able to hold off Notre Dame's offense just enough to pull out a big win.