Your #1 source for all things sports!

running-girl-silhouette Created with Sketch.

Cardio articles

football-player Created with Sketch.

Sports articles

Shape Created with Sketch.

Exercise articles

Shape Created with Sketch.

Stretching articles

lifter Created with Sketch.

Equipment articles

football-player Created with Sketch.

How to Report an Employer to the Labor Board

Complaints to your state labor board, or the National Labor Relations Board, relate to unfair labor practices that may occur in your workplace. Congress has passed laws that outlaw unfair labor practices in most U.S. work environments. For example, unfair labor practices committed by employers were mostly prohibited by the National Labor Relations Act. Union-committed unfair labor practices were largely prohibited by the Taft-Hartley Act, states USLegal website.

  1. Write down all relevant facts about your complaint. Document all information regarding your potential labor board complaint. Identify the parties involved, note the sequence of events as you recall them and describe other relevant issues. Complete these written notes while you can easily recall the information you want to communicate.

  2. Contact the National Labor Relations Board. The NLRB researches complaints dealing with alleged unfair labor practices in the United States. Complaints can be filed by employers, employees or unions.

    NLRB recommends you contact the regional office closest to your workplace, and speak with an information officer who will help you decide whether the issue is within the NLRB purview. If you decide to proceed, the officer will help you to complete a complaint form. You must file the complaint within six months of the alleged event.

  3. Call your state department of labor. Each state department of labor enforces state labor laws and handles issues relevant to employers and employees within that state. Contact your state DOL office, and ask if state labor laws cover the situation discussed in your potential complaint.

  4. Consult with an attorney. If you decide to proceed with your labor-related complaint, labor information resource recommends you hire an attorney to assist you. The attorney will phrase your complaint in the proper terms, and will advise whether you should file the complaint at the federal or state level.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article

Things Needed

  • Written account of your version of events
  • National Labor Relations Board complaint form
  • State Department of Labor complaint form (if applicable)

About the Author

Based in North Carolina, Felicia Greene has written professionally since 1986. Greene edited sailing-related newsletters and designed marketing programs for the New Bern, N.C. "Sun Journal" and New Bern Habitat ReStore. She earned a Bachelor of Science in business administration from the University of Baltimore.

Try our awesome promobar!