Notre Dame vs Ohio State, Prediction, Game Preview
Notre Dame and Ohio State open up the season in what will be an early matchup of some of the premier teams in the country in the 2022 season. Marcus Freeman, a former Ohio State player himself, makes his head coaching debut against Ryan Day and the Buckeyes, whom many believe will be the preseason number-one ranked team in the country.
The expectations and implications of this game have earned it the first College Gameday of the year, announced in mid-March.
Date: September 3, 2022
Time: 6:30PM CT
Location: Ohio Stadium, Columbus, OH
Ohio State 27, Notre Dame 21
It will be difficult to pick against Ohio State all season and this game is no exception. With home field advantage and early Heisman betting favorite CJ Stroud under center with weapons like Smith-Njigba still around, Ohio State maintains a slight edge over Marcus Freeman and the Irish to start the season 1-0.
Early Betting Favorite
- Notre Dame +14 (-105)
- Ohio State -14 (-115)
Notre Dame vs Ohio State Previous Matchups
- 1/1/2016: Ohio State 44, Notre Dame 28 (BattleFrog Fiesta Bowl)
- 1/2/2006: Ohio State 34, Notre Dame 20
- 9/28/1996: Ohio State 29, Notre Dame 16
- 9/30/1995: Ohio State 45, Notre Dame 26
- 10/31/1936: Notre Dame 7, Ohio State 2
- 11/2/1935: Notre Dame 18, Ohio State 13
Notre Dame vs Ohio State History by the Numbers
- Ohio State's largest margin of victory was 45-26 in 1995
- Notre Dame's largest margin of victory was 18-13 in 1935
- Ohio States longest win streak in the series is 4, from 1995-2016
- Notre Dame's only two wins in the series came in the first two matchups in 1935 and 1936
- Ohio State has the best winning percentage in college football history (.731), Notre Dame ranks third (.730)
- Ohio State and Notre Dame are tied for the most Heisman Trophy winners of any school with 7 each
A Look Ahead
Notre Dame and Ohio State will play each other early again in the 2023 season, but this time in South Bend on September 23, 2023.